Sunday, September 4, 2011

Beautiful India

We are back and recovering after our trip to India, Paris and Valencia. India was by far the most emotional for me. I found myself fighting back tears as we said goodbye to family and boarded our flight leaving India and heading to Paris. I was surprised how attached I had become to people after meeting them just 3 days earlier. Phil also thoroughly enjoyed the trip especially since it had been five years since he had last traveled to India.



While in India I was continually asked two questions: "How do you like India?" and "Is the food too spicy for you?" It was very easy for me to fall in love with India because of the people that surrounded me. It was a treat to meet and get to know (as much as possible with the occasional language barrier) so many members of Phil's family. I felt right at home because of the warm welcome that I received. As far as the food goes, it was delicious! It is a bit of an adjustment to go back to cereal and milk after we had been eating appam and chicken curry every morning for breakfast. I also really enjoyed eating without utensils and introducing my palate to new spices.





Traveling around India.


It was a lot of fun to attend a wedding in India and learn all about the different traditions and symbolism used. I tried to convince Phil that we should have another wedding so that we can incorporate some of those traditions, he is going to get back to me on that one.

When we arrived in India I purchased a sari and was thrilled to be able to wear it to the wedding. I was even more excited to have someone help me dress. The wrapping, folding and draping is such an art and it would not have happened with out the help of a professional.

Posing with Asha.


I was so excited to wear my first sari.




Sweet little ones.




The bride and groom.


Hanging out after the ceremony.


After the wedding and a late night of games and talking, we drove to Kattakada for a family reunion.




Rubber trees.


Walking to the edge of the property







Vin and Abu catching fish.


Lots and lots of Bananas.


Mmmmm, fresh coconut water.


Setting up for the family shot. So happy to be a part of this group.


After the family reunion the four of us (Vin, Asha, Phil and I) headed off to the airport. We were delighted to be joined by several cousins to send us off.


As I mentioned earlier, India was beautiful in so many ways. I fell in love with all of my new extended family members. I hope that we can all get together again in the next year or two. Another five years is just too long.

1 comment:

  1. you look beautiful in a sari. always jealous of your adventures but thankful and excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete